The Swiss Finance + Technology Association covers a range of FinTech verticals with high relevance for Switzerland:
- Challenging the status quo in the wealth management industry is the main focus in Switzerland’s FinTech landscape, but this vertical also covers much of banking, including retail and commercial sectors.
- The younger sibling of mainstream FinTech, which focuses on banking, this is an important vertical which goes beyond financial services solutions into a broad range of technological innovations which are reshaping the industry, such as IoT and cyber security.
- Emerging financial technologies promise to redefine the finance industry, but could they also provide a solution for environmental and social problems? The new technologies are not only a way to promote sustainable and impact finance, but become interesting in the support of scaling up solutions. Investors interested in socially responsible portfolios or sustainable finance investments can be empowered by the increase in data and the emergence of new tools. What are the results from other positive trends, such as a general disintermediation and increased possibility for transparency?
- RegTech refers to technology and innovations in the regulatory and compliance space. This is a new field within the financial services industry and often leverages data management and other new technologies which can enhance the regulatory and compliance work in financial services. It puts a particular emphasis on regulatory monitoring, reporting and compliance and is thus benefiting the finance industry.
- On a focused basis, SFTA engages in PropTech, which is the name given to technological innovations related to real estate and property management. There can be much overlap with finance, portfolio and risk management, and other similar areas.
- One of the oldest and most well established areas of FinTech everyone, but also in Switzerland, is that which relates to payments processing, billing, P2P solutions, and other related areas. This can include a range of blockchain companies offering payment services.
- FinTech companies are changing the lending business. Consumers do not need to turn to banks to borrow money anymore, because FinTech companies are now making loans directly to consumers or providing platforms for peer to peer lending. Consumers can request loans online and get approval quickly and lenders are able to assess their creditworthiness more effectively using new approaches.
- While this can be a broad category, SFTA uses it to apply to both companies providing the essential financial market data used by so many others in financial services, as well as to data management, analytics, and artificial intelligence.
- Since the introduction of Bitcoin in 2009 by Satoshi Nakamoto, the underlying blockchain technology has been steadily eating the World. Switzerland is one of the top jurisdictions for activity in the blockchain and cryptocurrency world, and so it is as well in the SFTA vertical.